Tuesday 22 September 2009

Weekend Warriors

I apologize for the lack of updates once again, although this time I have an excuse. HA! Read on to find out...

Thursday night, as I mentioned before, was our first European football (soccer for all you Američané out there) game. It wasn't as over-the-top insane as I thought it would be, but it was still a lot of fun. I learned two things:

1. I know jack shit about the rules of football (it can end in a tie? that's lame).
2. Non-alcoholic beer tastes similar enough to regular beer that you don't notice the difference until you're three pints in and you don't feel any different.

I exaggerate. It might have had a little alcohol in it, but the general consensus between all of us was that they watered it down to the point of no effect so that people don't get as insane as they do in places like Spain and England. You have no idea how disappointing it is to wait in line for like half an hour, hand over 5 bucks, and not end up at least a little tipsy. Jak smutné. After the game, a small contingent of us, determined to get drunk, bounced around from bar to bar for a while before we ended up back at Beer Factory, only this time we were literally the only people there. If you've never danced around like an idiot in an empty club to "Soul Bossa Nova," I HIGHLY recommend it. Success all around.

Fast forward to Saturday. Saturday was Damon's 21st birthday, and while that is like the smallest of deals here in Praha, we decided to go all out and get hammered anyways. Now, I had woken up around 2 in the afternoon on Saturday and was already dealing with a cold, so I hadn't eaten anything. Kush and I went out for happy hour, had a few beers, came back, went out with everyone else, had more beers, went to a bar, had more, stopped at a grocery store on the way home, and had some more. Grand total? 10 beers (5 liters), on a mostly empty stomach. Needless to say, Sunday was the worst day of my life. The night was fun, though. We made some older Czech friends, and one of them kept wandering over to our table and taking our picture randomly. Apparently at the next bar people went to there were some friendly Czechs buying them drinks. I dont' know where these people hide, but I have not met a Czech person who looked like they wanted to buy me a drink. Now I'm telling you all this because I want you to LEARN from my mistakes. Nevermind the hangover, I don't even want to think about how many calories I consumed. Tsk tsk. I'm hitting the gym hardcore this week (I'm just playin witchu justin).

I spent most of Sunday in bed recovering, venturing out only to book fall break and take a walk with Kush. With the exception of not being able to eat anything and drinking water and orange juice like it was my job, it was actually pretty nice. I got a jump on watching Entourage and writing a little survival guide for my parents so they don't offend as many people as I did when I first arrived. But blogging my misery was the last thing on my mind, which is my excuse. Bahaha.

Fall break is planned and paid for (by yours truly, thank you very much), and my bank account is unhappy. I'm OK with it. Lisa and I (and possibly Kush) are heading to London for a day and a night, then Istanbul for 4 days, meeting up with everyone else in Athens for two, Rome for two, and then Venice or Copenhagen. Why Copenhagen on Halloween? That's why. I'm so excited, but I'm not going to bore you by translating that feeling into words. Just know that I'm aware how fortunate I am that I get the chance to do something like this.

Nolan's parents came into town this weekend, the first in what I believe is a month straight of parents visiting every weekend. They were incredibly nice and took us all for drinks, which is something I could get used to. GOD I'm going to have such a hard time going back to New York and paying $5 for a beer. It's kind of a problem.

Check back in a few days for a less summative post. I know it can be tedious to read "Today I did this and then I did this and then we drank this and then this HILARIOUS THING happened," so I promise to fill the next post with hilarious rants. Or maybe you like the stories? Whatever. I learn from the best.

This song just came up in my iTunes. You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Wait til you come to Paris and pay 5 EURO for a beer. Never fear, I know a place that serves beer and shots for 5 euro before 11...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When walking around Venice, you can always tell who's visited St. Mark's by the pigeon "memento" on their backs.

    ReplyDelete